Creating a Social Menu
In most of our recent themes like Himalayas, Explore, ColorNews and Flash, a separate menu location is provided for displaying the social links with their icons. The social menu is displayed either in top or bottom of your site varying according to the theme.
In this article we will be creating a Social Menu, so that you can display the social icons which links to your social page. So, please follow the following steps to create a Social Menu.
- Goto: Appearance->Menus and click on create a new menu.
You can also edit an existing menu, if you don’t want to create a new menu.
- Name the menu, and then hit Create Menu button, now a new menu will be created.
- On the left hand side you can see different tabs, click on Custom Links.
- In the URL field, add the link to your social site and on the Link Text filed enter the title for the menu item and then click Add to Menu button.
The social icons are displayed according to the URL so you must enter it carefully to display the correct social icon.
- After the menu item is added, you can see various check boxes under Display location , you have to check the one that has Social as prefix(except for Himalayas theme where the display location for social is Footer Menu) and then click Save Menu.
Assigning the menu to a location, alternatively can be done from the Manage Location tab on the top of the page once the menu is saved.
Below is a GIF depicting the creation of a Social Menu in the Flash free theme.