Customizer Settings Lost After Switching to Child Theme
WordPress treats the child theme as a separate theme and hence the customizer settings will be fresh while switching to the child theme. So, it would appear that you lost the changes you made in the customizer. However, the settings remain fine in the parent theme’s settings i.e. if you switch to the parent theme, you’ll find the changes you made fine.
You can move all the customizer settings from the parent theme to the child theme. Follow the instruction given below
- Activate the parent theme if you have not already.
- Install/Activate the Plugin to Export/Import Customizer Settings
- Go to WordPress Dashboard > Customizer > Export/Import
- Export the customizer settings by clicking the Export button there.
- Now, switch to the child theme from WordPress Dashboard > Themes, or from the customizer, as shown in the video below.
- Again, go to
WordPress Dashboard > Customizer > Export/Import
- This time, click
Choose Filebutton and select the previously import file